Hyllinge fire engine house

In olden times, the houses in villages were built close together. The construction materials of wood and clay with thatched roofs meant that the outbreak of a fire could be catastrophic. There was no municipal fire service.

Until 1865, the lords of the manor were responsible for readying fire fighting equipment when the need arose.

The next in line were the inhabitants of villages. A fire station was built in Hyllinge,  conveniently close to the village pond which served as an emergency water tank.

Fire drills were held regularly but in 1889 it was decided that people working on the railways did not need to take part in fire fighting. Their work in connection with the trains took priority.

Today, the Hyllinge fire pump no longer exists. The engine house has been lovingly restored, however.

For a glimpse of modern fire-fighting methods, one can see a large exercise ground not far from Fodsporet near Ladby with blackened buildings, vehicles and containers. This is where the Emergency Management Agency trains firemen.


The records of local historian Svend Henning Pedersen